Job Opening: Chief Financial Officer
Chief Financial Officer
We’re looking for a game-changing CFO to join us in creating and growing excellent schools where they’re needed most in South Carolina. Our work isn’t for everyone. It requires courage and humility, a relentless belief in students, a tireless work ethic, and a willingness to put racial equity front-and-center. If that resonates with you, read on.
- Relentless belief in every child’s potential and in schools’ ability to unlock this potential
- Deep understanding of effective charter authorization and operation
- Willingness to do whatever it takes in the service of students and taxpayers
- Demonstrated results in education
- Recognition that race matters in education and we must act intentionally, every day, to address racial inequity and injustice in education systems
- Humble leader who gives credit to others, leaves her/his ego at the door, and doesn’t care about titles or status
- Ability to coach and develop others
- Excellent communicator
- Knows how to contribute to and lead effective teams
- School district or charter/authorizer finance experience
- Strong background in accounting, auditing and internal controls (CPA with public accounting experience a plus)
- Budgeting, project management and financial analysis
- Successful, air-tight management and execution of the SCPCSD budget. Lead the finance team in the day-to-day management of the budget and accounting activities. Ensure SCPCSD dollars get to schools and staff in a timely, accurate fashion through proper financial procedures with supporting systems of internal controls and documentation. Engage staff and relevant stakeholders in the management of the budget and any related adjustments to spending. Oversee the process for determining school-level allocations, including the processing of monthly distributions to portfolio schools. Lead and manage the year-end close and independent financial statement audit process.
- Strategic development of the annual budget. Develop, direct, and administer the organization’s annual operating budget, including presentations to SCPCSD leadership, the Board of Directors, the Governor’s Office, and the South Carolina legislature.
- Financial oversight of SCPCSD charters. Lead the annual review of the financial performance and health of portfolio schools, including relevant systems of intervention and heightened monitoring that may include review of annual audits, budgets, and financial statements where applicable. Define and develop technical assistance for schools that is aligned to the SCPCSD framework for support and differentiated by school performance, maturation, and financial health.
- Charter school growth and closure. Lead the financial reviews within all charter development processes, including evaluating applications and requests for new schools, expansion, replications, and transfers. Assist in the orientation and onboarding of new, transfer, and developing schools. Where necessary, support the SCPCSD’s processes for revocation and closure.
- Talent strategy. Manage the HR Director in the successful execution of SCPCSD HR compensation practices, management of employee insurance, school benefits administration, and retention and recruitment strategies.
Please submit any inquiries and/or a résumé & cover letter to Jackie Snell, Director of Human Resources, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for application: May 22, 2019
The South Carolina Public Charter School District is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, handicap or disability, or any other protected characteristic in admission to, access to, treatment in or employment in its program & activities.