Job Opening: Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff
The South Carolina Public Charter School District (SCPCSD) oversees 34 public charter schools serving almost 20,000 students across the state, with two additional schools scheduled to open in the fall of 2019. The SCPCSD, the state’s largest and most diverse charter school authorizer, was recently named to the National AP Honor-Roll for dramatically narrowing racial and socio-economic achievement gaps in college entry exams.
We’re looking for a strategic, hard-working, team-oriented Chief of Staff to lead our organization into its next phase of excellence and equity on behalf of South Carolina’s students and families. The Chief of Staff is a senior level leader – reporting to the Superintendent – who provides strategic vision, expertise, and project-management skills to the Leadership Team to enable the South Carolina Public Charter School District (SCPCSD) to achieve its strategic objectives. The Chief of Staff leads the organization’s annual planning, oversees performance and project management systems, manages a diverse set of crucial projects on short notice, takes on the SCPCSD’s toughest challenges with little oversight, and consistently ensures the broader goals and projects of the staff are effectively tracking towards completion. No day is like the next in the world of our Chief of Staff, which should be compelling to the flexible and ambitious candidate we seek to hire.
• Relentless belief in every child’s potential and in the ability of charter schools to unlock this potential.
• A thorough understanding of the charter school bargain, including the role of the authorizer and the responsibilities of the school.
• The humility and vulnerability to consistently give and receive feedback.
• A willingness to do whatever it takes in the service of students and families.
• The recognition that race is often at the root of educational disparities, and the courage to acknowledge this fact in decision-making.
• A humble leader who listens and gives credit to others.
• Serve as a strategic advisor to the Superintendent, co-managing the development and performance of the senior leadership team and coordinating action for high-stakes policy, talent, authorization, and accountability decisions.
• Drive strategic planning by establishing alignment and progress monitoring around a set of annual and multi-year strategic priorities.
• Provide leadership and direction for internal and external communications presentations, speeches and correspondence.
• Project manage mission-critical projects, including the New Schools SC Fellowship (incubator valued at >500K, Leadership Academy (principal development program), and Replication Academy (charter growth cohort-experience).
• Plan and facilitate SCPCSD’s weekly leadership team meetings, bi-weekly staff meetings, and quarterly school leaders’ meetings.
• Provide leadership and support to the Superintendent’s direct reports to ensure that the SCPCSD’s strategic goals and objectives are met.
• Serve as a key contact with school stakeholders on behalf of the SCPCSD including but not limited to facilitation of the Superintendent’s Advisory Council, dissemination of monthly school board communications, and coordination of weekly updates to school personnel facilitating the Superintendent’s Advisory Council.
• Supports the Charter Development & Accountability team in the review of charter applications and the onboarding of new, transfer, and developing schools.
• Plan and execute learning opportunities for SCPCSD school and Board leaders, including the coordination of trainings and school visits.
• Facilitate external relationships with community groups, policymakers, and other stakeholders.
• Perform other duties as determined by the Superintendent.
• 5-10+ years of experience in strategy and/or management.
• Bachelors required; masters encouraged.
• Experience in a high-performing charter school management organization, top-tier consulting firm, or similarly hard-charging organization is a plus.
• Individuals who reflect the racial, cultural, and linguistic diversity of our students are encouraged to apply.
• Submit 1-2 page resume and cover letter to both Rich Richards (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Jackie Snell (email@example.com) by May 31, 2019.
The South Carolina Public Charter School District is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, handicap or disability, or any other protected characteristic in admission to, access to, treatment in or employment in its program & activities.