Chief Financial Officer
SC Public Charter School District (SCPCSD)
We’re looking for a game-changing CFO to join us in creating and growing excellent schools where they’re needed most in South Carolina. Our work isn’t for everyone. It requires courage and humility, a relentless belief in students, a tireless work ethic, and a willingness to put racial equity front-and-center. If that resonates with you, read on.
- Relentless belief in every child’s potential and in schools’ ability to unlock this potential
- Deep understanding of effective charter authorization and operation
- Willingness to do whatever it takes in the service of students and taxpayers
- Demonstrated results in education
- Recognition that race matters in education and we must act intentionally, every day, to address racial inequity and injustice in education systems
- Leadership, decision making and communication abilities commensurate with senior leadership team
- School district, charter school or public finance management experience
- Strong background in accounting, auditing and internal controls
- Budgeting, project management and financial analysis
- CPA with public accounting experience, a plus.
Successful, air-tight management and execution of the SCPCSD budget. Lead the finance and ops team in the day-to-day management of the budget and accounting activities. Ensure SCPCSD dollars get to schools and staff in a timely, accurate fashion through proper financial procedures with supporting systems of internal controls and documentation. Engage staff and relevant stakeholders in the management of the budget and any related adjustments to spending. Oversee the process for determining school-level allocations, including the processing of monthly distributions to portfolio schools. Lead and manage the year-end close and independent financial statement audit process.
Strategic development of the annual budget. Develop, direct, and administer the organization’s annual operating budget, including presentations to SCPCSD leadership, the Board of Directors, the Governor’s Office, and the South Carolina legislature.
Financial oversight of SCPCSD charters. Lead the annual review of the financial performance and health of portfolio schools, including relevant systems of intervention and heightened monitoring that may include review of annual audits, budgets, and financial statements where applicable. Define and develop technical assistance for schools that is aligned to the SCPCSD framework for support and differentiated by school performance, maturation, and financial health.
Charter school growth and closure. Lead the financial reviews within all charter development processes, including evaluating applications and requests for new schools, expansion, replications, and transfers. Assist in the orientation and onboarding of new, transfer, and developing schools. Where necessary, support the SCPCSD’s processes for revocation and closure.
Talent strategy. Manage the HR Director in the successful execution of SCPCSDHR compensation practices, management of employee insurance, school benefits administration, and retention and recruitment strategies.
Please submit an resume and cover letter to Taylor Fulcher (email@example.com) and Elliot Smalley (firstname.lastname@example.org) by January 1, 2020.