Director of Finance
Director of Finance
We are looking for a passionate, process-driven and analytic-minded person to work in partnership with the Chief Finance Officer to improve and maintain the efficiency of our financial systems and to lead strategic projects that increase our impact on South Carolina’s students. The South Carolina Public Charter School District (SCPCSD) is a unique state organization—it is both authorizer and LEA for 35 charter schools and has the responsibility of flowing resources to schools in an equitable and timely fashion. The ideal candidate for this job has a relentless belief in all kids and will thrive in an environment where on one day he/she may be walking a school leader through her funding allocation and the next day building a smarter system for staff expense reporting. This position will also have an impact far beyond finance—we need a talented individual to help us build a culture of continuous operational improvement across our organization.
Key Roles and Sample Projects:
- Processing monthly state allocation to schools
- Management of outsourced accounts payable and payroll functions
- Quarterly monitoring of school financial health in collaboration with the accountability team
- Supporting the analysis of the financial viability of charter applicants
- Developing a system that gets funds to schools earlier in the month and at levels that more accurately support their current enrollment
- Consolidating the purchasing needs across our schools to realize economies of scale
- Building systems to ensure that as the district grows, we can continually pass on more resources to schools instead of adding costs at the central office
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree, ideally with an MBA or master’s degree in related field
- High-level of attention to detail – every penny counts
- Understanding of the importance of balancing compliance and innovation in public sector
- Eats Excel (or more sophisticated) financial models for breakfast
- Understanding intricacies of South Carolina school finance not required but preferred
- Unshakeable belief in the ability of every South Carolina student, regardless race or income.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Taylor Fulcher (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Jackie Snell (email@example.com) by December 24, 2019.